Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The good, the bad, and the really ugly

A lot has been going on around here lately. Some good things, some bad things, and some really ugly things.

My symptoms with pseudotumor cerebri have progressively been getting worse. I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon, Dr.McG, a few weeks ago and he informed me that things didn't appear to be getting better and in his medical opinion (which I so highly respect) it is time to, shall we say, bite the bullet and have the shunt surgery performed. We discussed all of the risks and benefits and the procedure in detail. He sent me to have an MRI done to determine what type of shunt would work best for me. The V-shunt that is placed directly into the brain, though it's rather scary for me, seems like it will be what works best, but I guess we will find out for sure when Dr. McG gets the results and notifies me. The shunt will work continuously to remove the extra spinal fluid that surrounds my brain, thus keeping my spinal pressure low and alleviating alot of the symptoms I am having. Though I am definitely NOT excited to shave my head and have my head cut open, I am sooo looking forward to reaping the benefits that the shunt will bestown upon me. Please keep me in your prayers, because I am really nervous/scared/anxious, and just about any other emotion you can think of!!

The news gets even uglier. My brother's wife who was expecting their first child in February, learned this past week that she had lost the baby. They are completely heartbroken, as is the whole family. The army granted my brother a week of leave so they could come home and be with family during this difficult time. We got to spend the whole day with them yesterday, and this evening our family went out to dinner, and then they came over to our house to hang out. We have been able to have quite a few laughs which I think has helped tremendously. They say laughter is the best medicine. Well, in my brother's case, tattoos are. He and his wife got matching tattoos of a baby with wings. If you could, would you please pray for them? There are alot of private issues that make this even harder for them, and they are certainly in need of your prayers.

And, finally, some good news. There is a personal issue that I have really been struggling with lately, and I am happy to say that things seem to be improving. I'll be honest, it's not fixed, and the road ahead is a long one, but things are definitely looking up.

Most importantly, I am thankful for a God who is with me ALL of the time. He never leaves me or forsakes me. Through the calm and through the storm, He is ALWAYS beside me. I guess you could say that He is a God through the good, the bad, and even the really ugly.

siggy for blog

No comments:

Post a Comment