Thursday, December 3, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes




Kids say the funniest things, and sometimes they just happen to be hurtful. For some reason, my kids happen to be the most BRUTALLY honest kids I have ever met. They seem to lack a filter regarding what comes out of their mouths.

For about a week straight after I got out of the hospital, baby sister wouldn't let me out of her sight, even during the wee hours of the night. My usual twelve-hour sleep loving princess thought it best to just stay up all night to make sure Momma didn't disappear. I didn't have the strength, energy, or heart to fight with her, so I would just get up and take her to the living room, turn cartoons on (I'm bad....I know!), and lay down in the recliner with her sitting right on top of me.

On one particular night, I kept dozing off while she watched cartoons and tried to carry a conversation on with me. I awoke to her squeezing my face, saying, "Mommy, Mommy. Does God have wings?" No, honey, God doesn't have wings, now go to sleep. Just a few moments later, "Mommy, Mommy. Can God fly?" Sweetheart, I don't know if God can fly. I don't think he has the need to. And then, "Mommy, Mommy." I am waiting for another silly question about God's magical attributes, but instead I hear, in the most angelic voice possible........"How did you get so fat?" Gee, thanks, princess. Mommy loves you too.

And, so, out of the mouths of babes comes many things: funny questions about lofty things, heartfelt sentiments of love, and more often than not, brutally honest statements that literally make you laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment